When going to Finland, I don’t think Helsinki is usually on the top of the list. People usually think of places like Ruka with the snow-covered forests & super cold weather. But don’t make the same mistake as most!! Helsinki is a beautiful city full of amazing architecture, character, & it was WARM when we were there! The history of the city is astounding & the water is just beautiful. There’s so much to do, so this is everything I think you should do when spending a weekend in Helsinki, Finland.
Where to Stay
When in Helsinki, I suggest living like a local & getting yourself an apartment. It really helps immerse you in the city & enjoy it to its fullest. I stayed at Aallonkoti Hotel Apartments & absolutely loved it.
The furnishings were truly Scandic & everything was comfortable & updated. It was a beautiful place to stay, & in the perfect location! You can get to most places from here, especially if you take public transportation which I ALWAYS suggest when in a new city. It makes you feel way more connected to the city, plus you save a bunch of money!
Where to Eat
There were a lot of great food options when spending a weekend in Helsinki, including the restaurant that hosted one of our most popular YouTube videos: 17 Course Meal in Helsinki! Here are some awesome options to eat at in Helsinki:
- Restaurant Olo: This is where we had the 17 course meal! If you want to try a finer dining option, THIS is it. I don’t go for fine dining option, but I’m glad I did in this case because everything I tried was delicious & they were all so different from what I would normally try.
- Ekberg: This is a great place to get some breakfast! They are the oldest bakery in Finland, so it’s a super cool place to go. Plus, everything was delicious.
- Savotta: Want to try some real Finnish food? This is the place to go! We had some of the most amazing Finnish dishes here that we loved. Plus, it’s right of Senate Square in the heart of the city.
What to Do
It may surprise you, but there is a TON to do in Helsinki! & the diversity of what you can do is the best part about this city. Here are a few of my favorite things to do while experiencing a weekend in Helsinki, Finland:
- Suomenlinna: This is a MUST when you are in Helsinki. It is a 18th century sea fortress full of history. Plus, you get to take an awesome ferry ride over! It’s a wonderful experience all around.
- Helsinki Cathedral: Even if you only check this place out from the outside, it is a beautiful church. You will definitely want to make a quick stop by to get some pics!
- Löyly Helsinki: This is an amaaaazing sauna with sweeping views. I really liked the vibe of this place, along with the amazing architecture. It’s a great place to hang out, get a drink, & enjoy the Finnish sauna experience.
- Allas Sea Pool: There is no such thing as too many Finnish sauna experiences when in Finland. This is a unique option in that it also includes a pool that overlooks the sea, & an option to dip in the sea itself. Definitely a fun option!
- This is a city you are going to want to walk & explore in. Each corner has something new – so wear comfy shoes! I made the mistake of wearing heels one day… don’t pull a Meghan.
- Bring layers. The weather differs a lot day-to-day!
Greetings from Florida! I’m bored at work so I decided to browse your
blog on my iphone during lunch break. I really like the knowledge you present here and can’t wait to take
a look when I get home. I’m shocked at how fast your blog loaded on my mobile ..
I’m not even using WIFI, just 3G .. Anyways, superb blog!
Way cool! Some extremely valid points! I appreciate you penning this post and the rest of the website is extremely good.
Greetings! I’ve been reading your site for a long time now and finally got the bravery to go ahead and
give you a shout out from Porter Texas! Just wanted to say keep up the good work!
Thanks so much, this means a lot! 🙂