Before going to Venice, all we heard was “it’s a tourist trap”, “it’s soooo dirty” & “it’s so crowded & nothing like the pictures”. So obviously, we weren’t too excited BUT still had some hope that this would turn out to be the perfect spot to spend our anniversary. & guess what? ALL OF THOSE PEOPLE WERE WRONG. Seeing Venice in a weekend was an amazing decision. Honestly, Venice became one of my favorite places we have ever gone to. GO, GO, GO!
Where to stay
Depending on the season, Venice can be quite busy. So we were quite happy to stay on a separate island, but we were just a quick ferry away from all of the hustle & bustle (& still had the gorgeous canals). We stayed on Murano, which was a beautiful island with amazing architecture & glass blowing.
PLUS, we stayed at the most beautiful hotel – LaGare Hotel Venezia. We had the most amazing two-story room that literally made our jaws drop when we walked in. HIGHLY recommend!
Where to eat
Venice isn’t really known for it’s food, so while it isn’t the best food we had in Italy, there were still some great options. Here are our favorites to check out when seeing Venice in a weekend:
- When we were running in the rain, we stumbled upon this little pizza shop that had AWESOME pizza: Antico Forno. Plus, they had so many options. & it was all by the slice! The perfect food to eat while either hiding from the rain or walking around the city.
- While you are exploring Saint Mark’s Square, there is a SUPER cute little cafe, CaffÃ© Florian, where you can get coffee, a snack, or be like me & get an amazing sundae (they have tons of cool options) while you listen to live music in the square.
- If you are on Murano, there is an awesome little place on the water with great pasta options for dinner: Ai Piantaleoni. Great views, great food.
What to do
Venice is just a breathtaking place to explore. I could honestly spend all day just wandering around & looking at each twist & turn. BUT, if you’re not like me, here are some great things to do while you are visiting:
- A gondala ride – DUH! Venice isn’t complete without a breathtaking gondola ride. Make sure you have cash ready to go, these are pretty expensive.
- Saint Mark’s Basilica & Square – It is truly a beautiful work of art. If you have read my previous posts, you’ll know I find architecture & murals to be some of the best works of art out there, & this will NOT disappoint!
- Rialto Bridge – One of the most iconic bridges there is, this is one you don’t want to miss.
- Bridge of Sighs – This small bridge has a pretty amazing history & meaning behind the name: it connects Doge’s Palace to the dungeons, so this would be the last view of the outside world that prisoners would see as they released a sigh
- To get the best, clearest canals for a romantic gondola ride, wait until right after it rains. We did that & we were the only ones out there & it was PERFECT!
- Get a multi-ride pass for the ferry buses so you can go back & forth between each location as you please.
Such a lovely iconic travel destination! I’ve read about it all my life. Love it!
It looks like you had such a great time. I’ve been wanting to go to Venice for a while.
Definitely recommend! Would love to hear about your experience if you go.
I always wanted to go there love the picture you took
Thanks so much! I think you’d love it!!
It is definitely on my travel wish list to visit.
Yes!! It is still one of my favorite places I’ve ever been to.
This sounded like a great trip.
It is amazing! One of my most highly recommended destinations.
Looks Beautiful! Definitely on my Travel List!!
Itâ€™s truly amazing there!
O wow,what fantastic place
Yes, I absolutely loved it!
I know that was a dream to experience !!
Looks like so much fun! Also looks very relaxing
It was an amazing trip, for sure!
amazing trip, so much fun 🙂
Yes, lots of fun!
this place is amazing and your photos do it all the justice.
Thanks so much!
Great pictures! Venice was great! There are little “spots” that aren’t crowded, so much to see, and the food/wine is delish!
Yes!! So glad you agree!
Venice sounds like a truly beautiful place to visit.
It was!!! One of my favorite cities in the world.